Sunday, March 29, 2009

Arlo Guthrie

So I went to the Arlo Guthrie concert the other night, and this was my favorite bit of wisdom (although it probably wasn't the funniest thing he said. But I want it down somewhere.)
"People are always asking me to give them advice about songwriting. I tell them that songwriting is like fishing. There's a lot of waiting for a song to swim by. When one does, if you have a pen, you can write it down. If you don't, it swims on to the next songwriter. Like Bob Dylan. Once I wrote to Bob and said, 'Hey, just throw back some of the little ones to me!' He didn't think it was that funny. But yeah, my advice is, do whatever the hell you want - just don't sit downstream from Dylan."
How true that is.
I wish I could explain his interpretation of the story of Joseph in Egypt, but I'm sure I couldn't do it justice. Amazing though.

1 comment:

whoinsamhill said...

Love your blog, makes me laugh, although some of it goes right over my head (I'm short).